Friday 17 August 2007

Croc Farm/ Harm?
















The Crocodile Farm

Bangkok | 12.08.07

Located in Samutprakarn, just outside Bangkok, the Crocodile Farm is the brainchild of Thailand’s highly publicised 'Crocodile King’, Mr. Utai Youngprapakorn. Recognised as the world’s largest centre for crocodiles, the Crocodile Farm aims to help preserve crocodiles by breeding them in captivity. The farm also acts as an education and research centre for the conservation of wildlife.

The main reason for a visit to the Crocodile Farm is though to see the shows they put on! It is possible to witness ‘Crocodile Wrestling’ and keepers putting their heads into crocodile’s mouths – quite amazing 'spectacles'. In case you failed to detect the hint of sarcasm potrayed in the written word using single quotes; allow me to elaborate. The daring dynamic duo submission wrestling with the crocs are according to my pretty guide, protected by ancient spells and incantations chanted before every show. These are meant to ensure the docility of the beast while the 'brave' man places his head in its jaws. I am not a PETA spokesperson though I might sign up if personally invited by Pam. Yet the very scene angered my very being and believe me I could just smell the fear the animal was in. IMHO the modus operandi is quite simple and brutal. The animals are beaten and manipulated to compliance via say a partially dislodged tooth striking which causes the animal to flinch and obey. The animal seemed to run from the wrestling arena each time it was provoked. Magic? I dont think so. Try the same with a beast in the wild and you could audition for the remake of 'Frankenstein'. Leaving with a bitter aftertaste moreso with the crowd applauding and throwing money to honor the 'heroes'.. Grrr! Im not a vegan. I grew up eating earthworms crawling in the mud and I just concluded this trip with fresh live squiggly prawns tickling my palate as they begin their journey to the land where the sun dont shine. Yet dominating a wild beast with devious methods of torture and submission while feigning victory is not something I approve of!

Im a fighting man and I wholeheartedly defend every being's right to defend itself and live in dignity. It is better to face death
and extinction than live a life demeaned to playing to a crowd for mere survival. John Agard has a poem in which the animals dream of exploiting humans in the way that humans exploit them. A deer says:

'I'd love to remove man's balls
And make a perfume.
I'd rub a little behind my horns
And call it musk.'

No comments: